Thursday 4 March 2010

"White Teeth" by Zadie Smith



The sign of a great book can be seen in its second reading. Not apparent on the first time of reading, themes appear which highlight previously unaware depths to the book. This is so true, that it has be known that authors of books, whose works have not read so well second time round, can find themselves no longer on the ‘To read’ list.

This book has been read by your correspondent at least five times, so it will come as no surprise to the reader that this is a great book. This column could eulogise at length about the beauty of this book, but will restrict itself to the following; ambitious, clever and wise. Themes touch upon society, history, religion, and science. To top it all – it is also very funny, whilst dealing with serious topics. It is an important book of our times.

Disappointing though Zadie Smith’s follow up, ‘The Autograph Man,’ this fifth reading has encouraged me to give Zadie Smith’s third novel ‘On Beauty’ a read.
‘White Teeth’ has much to recommend it – a must read. 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Ahh finally a post I can comment on after all your sport nonsense ;)

    It's a while since I read 'White Teeth' so I can't remember all the ins and outs of it but I remember liking it but not loving it. I read a number of books with similar themes around the same time and this one didn't really stand out to me. (Although having said that, I remember some parts of it vividly - the bit when Irie has her hair straightened in particularly - so it must have made an impact somewhere in my fuzzy brain.)

    Funnily enough though, I've just started reading 'On Beauty'. It's not grabbed me yet but I shall persist and then we shall discuss it, yes?

    (The reason it's not grabbed me yet is possibly because I'm being distracted by the Richard Yates books that arrived as a gift from my good friend Amazon the other day. Have you read much of his stuff? It's *really* good.)

    ReplyDelete